Monday, May 23, 2011

Grainwood Teacher Retires

Third grade teacher, Mrs. Karol Rockler, is retiring from the school district after 33 years. We wish her the best!

"I signed my first teaching contract for a first grade position at WestWood Elementary School for $8,750 in 1975. There have been many memories made along the way. I think of all the great teachers I have learned from. I team taught in second grade with Mary Debaere for many years. We made a great team. I brought my therapy dog into school once a week. I did that many years as I had three dogs, Cassie, Keesha and Sadie, that came in over the years. Mary always said that the days the dogs were there were the best teaching days. These were three very talented dogs as I gave obedience demonstrations and agility demonstrations too.

It was always special to be remembered by the students that I taught. I was invited to graduation parties and some even came back to visit after they had graduated to let me know that I had made a difference in their lives. One, I remember, was a young man from Alaska, who became an air traffic controller. I am ending my career in third grade at Grainwood, and I'm looking forward to making new memories on the next adventure."